Technicolor Opens VFX Studio Mill Film in Adelaide, AustraliaAll Articles
Global movie company Technicolor will open a 500-person visual effects studio in Adelaide after being lured by a $6 million State Government grant. The move coincides with the South Australia Film Corporation offer of a new, uncapped Post Production, Digital and Visual Effects (SA PDV) rebate. Beginning last month, the new SA PDV rebate offers a 10% rebate on work completed on projects in South Australia, which combines with an existing 30% incentive from the Australian federal government for a total 40% rebate offer.
The 3,000 m2 visual effects unit, named Mill Film, involves an initial investment of $21 million (A$26 million). "Mill Film will comprise an Adelaide Centre of Excellence and VFX Academy, together accommodating 500 people – ranging from technologists to artists – when running at full strength within five years,” the state government of South Australia said. Its initial focus will be delivering VFX for major film studios and streaming services, with a later expansion into virtual and augmented reality.
The state will provide up to $4.75 million (A$6 million) from its Economic Investment Fund to support the project. It said that it anticipates an economic benefit of around $200 million (A$253 million) over ten years.
“We picked Australia as an opportunity for expansion because it provides an ability to engage with a pool of proven creative talent; work with leading universities; and build on a modern and mature infrastructure that is critical for working on high-end VFX projects,” said Frederic Rose, Technicolor CEO, in a statement. “Investment Attraction South Australia worked with us to provide a complete investment package. The state government’s 10% PDV rebate, stackable with the federal government’s 30% incentive was an opportunity too good to ignore.”
“The film industry is one of the state’s fastest growing sectors,” said South Australia state premier Jay Weatherill in a statement. Also operational in the state are companies including: VFX firm Rising Sun Pictures (“Gravity,” “Harry Potter); facilities house Kojo (“Wolf Creek TV,” “The Babadook”); and television CGI firm Resin (“Philip K Dick’s: Electric Dreams”).
France-based Technicolor currently has facilities in Paris, London, Los Angeles, Montreal, New York, Vancouver, Bangalore and Shanghai. It recently worked on films including “The Shape of Water,” “Wonder Woman,” and “Blade Runner 2049.”
All Articles Arrange a Demo of Incentives Monitor